Auth Module, Verizon, & My Poor Back

So far November is looking better than most of October. My back is finally starting to straighten itself back out. Despite having worked the last two months with what was essentially a slipped disc or “thrown out” back…it’s not hurting as much to walk, sleep, breathe, eat, pee, or laugh. It still hurts, but at a more tolerable level.

I also somewhat figured out the problems with the imagehost and I jumped ship to Verizon (Wireless).

The Continuing Saga of The ImageHost

So one of the continual nagging issues with my imagehost was the sudden loss of ability to upload through the dropbox.js interface in the browser. It would run great for a few days; but then it wouldn’t. I had thought it was systemd related as it worked the first few days, but I was wrong; and in fact what I thought was a fix wasn’t exactly proving to work either. But I finally nailed down what the problem is and what causes it; although I haven’t figured out why this happens and how to fix it. The entire problem is with the auth module.

Linx-Server uses an API-key when uploading from a command line; you can pass this in some header information. But if you want to use the dropbox.js interface, then you have to use basic password auth. When I moved the upload from the root to a path; uploads from this broke. I could not figure out why other than some code modifications I did wasn’t the actual cause. It turned out to be the auth module.

The problem I’d been having is…every “couple of days”; uploads would break. You’d send data, you’d never get the URL, and it didn’t actually write any data. I’d reboot the server process a couple times, it’d start working. I tried a whole host of things and nothing seemed to fully solve the problem; and none of them seemed to fix it for the same amount of time. That’s largely because I was chasing my ass the entire time.

The other day I went to upload something from my browser for the first time in days; but I wasn’t uploading from the browser directly, I was using the remote upload option. If I access my upload interface in a browser and append /upload?url=https://url.to/file.xyz; it downloads the image itself and copies it in to the directory. This has pretty much always worked even when the dropbox.js interface wasn’t; it was also the key to me realizing what was going on. During the remote upload, I got the password prompt; I entered it and things worked. A few minutes later I tried the browser upload; it worked! Huh?

My best guess is right now; the dropbox.js interface needing to auth is what’s causing things to lock up. I think it might be with dropbox.js more than with linx-server itself.

Verizon (Wireless)

I try not to bitch about Verizon too much because while they are an evil corporation at times hellbent on reforming the monopoly…I give them money and I am getting shit for it. I’m going on my 10th year using FiOS and I’ve actually had no complaints…which amazes me considering how much they could screw you over. I mean..I pay for gigabit; I get gigabit.

So it was high-time I just give in and switch to Verizon for my mobile provider. I’ll admit that I jumped from pre-paid to pre-paid provider over the years for various reasons. At first it was because I couldn’t get a traditional contract plan…then it was because I got a contract plan and screwed that up. I saw prepaid go from the joke of the industry to a pretty serious contender; with monthly plans that started looking more and more like traditional offerings.

Anyway…I’ve been on TMobile primarily in some form the last few years; and while the network was good and it was my phone that was pretty bad…there were still some areas where the boss’ Verizon phone had service in areas TMobile only dreams about. TMobile was also one of the last carriers that wasn’t all the way on my shitlist; and while Legere started really strong there for a few years….it was all the fee increases and additions at metro that seemed the opposite of what he was preaching.

At this point I no longer cared who I actually had and cared more about my stuff working; so off to Verizon I went. As much as I knew a new phone on GoogleFi would have likely improved matters; I really didn’t like the selection of Fi hardware. Not to mention with the TMobile and Sprint merger…it wasn’t really a dual network option. I could likely have just gotten a postpaid plan with Tmobile and had automatic roaming on Sprint LTE towers….if the phone is compatible.

On one hand I’m paying more per month now as I wasn’t on an unlimited Fi plan before; but I’m not paying much more than I would if I maxed out my data on Fi and I get more data, a lot more. If I start to average more than six gigs a month, I’ll be ahead. I also didn’t get the best phone in the world. I didn’t want to drop a ton of money on something, so I picked up an LG Stylo 6. Though I was not happy with the way my Stylo 3 failed; I figured it was maybe time to give LG another shot.

I mean..the phone itself is exactly what is; a budget-level smartphone that looks higher-end. It’s not the fastest thing in the world, it doesn’t have a fancy 4k screen, or have exceptional cameras; but it’s large, it’s not much laggier than my Moto g6, and you can click the stylus like a ballpoint pen. If anything it makes me want to get a higher end LG with 5G and all that. I think it’s too early to get one and am waiting to see what network standards are actually deployed.

But holy cow, it’s nice having signal just about everywhere. Now if I could get my ssh keys working on the thing I’d be happy.

Site comments disabled. Please use Twitter.