It’s been two weeks, I broke something on the server.
Every damn time….
On my last server the command sudo shutdown -r was considered blasphemy. There was no reason to ever reboot that VPS since it was OpenVZ; the sheer lack of ability to update the kernel meant nothing needed to be updated. I never personally issued a reboot; and in fact it had only gone through TWO reboots since December of 2017. The first was back in November when the node crashed; that was a 600+ day uptime. The second…was when the node died…so I guess you can’t really call that a reboot.
But things are a little different. While I had prided myself on keeping an IRC connection open for a solid year with my bouncer…I’m not in to that anymore. Keeping the server updated has taken priority. I’m on a KVM host now…so I can legitimately update my kernel. So when I ran an update, saw a kernel update, and then got the “System Reboot Reqested” message; I scheduled a reboot.
I woke up this morning to a dead bouncer. So…I won’t go through the mess of trying to figure it out; it was a lot of trying to edit systemd services on my phone through ConnectBot. But…it just wasn’t working. It kept screaming about a config file.
It turns out that the repository install didn’t fully do the process as you would if you compiled from source. Compiling from source usually instructs you to create a dedicated znc user, and store all the configurations in it’s modified home directory. Otherwise, ZNC will create config files in ~/.znc/ and that’s fine *if* you run ZNC manually; but you wanna run it as a service…that won’t work.
What I ultimately did was add the command to run znc as my personal username and changed the datadir= variable in the boot script to ~/.znc. Now it didn’t try to look in the non-user area for a configuration when loaded by systemd.
Setting that to my user directory probably isn’t the correct way; what I’m supposed to do is create a dedicated user, set it’s home directory as the default path for znc configurations, and run it that way; although I tried copying the config files to the proper directories and it still gave me “can’t load conf” errors.